Think you’re being sly with the excuse you just gave your boss for being late? Guess again. While the majority of managers don’t typically question the validity of the reasons provided, most of the time, they don’t believe the excuses :-).
But why make up excuses? Well, we make up excuses in fear of repercussions. Managers, well, the decent ones anyway, don’t care if their employees are late as long as their work is completed on time and with good quality — but others aren’t so lenient. The key is to know your individual manager’s expectations and take the time to learn your employer’s culture and policies.
For fun, here are some unusual excuses:
- Someone was following me, and I drove all around town trying to lose them.
- My dog dialed 911, and the police wanted to question me about what “really” happened.
- My girlfriend got mad and destroyed all of my undergarments.
- I woke up and thought I was temporarily deaf.
- I just wasn’t “feelin’ it” this morning.
- I was up all night arguing with God.
- A raccoon stole my work shoe off my porch.
- I super-glued my eye thinking it was contact solution.
- I was putting lotion on my face when my finger went up my nose causing a nose bleed.
- A prostitute climbed into my car at a stop light, and I was afraid my wife would see her and think I was messing around… so I got out of the car.
Enjoy your week… and don’t be late for work! 😉